ISM COURSE SUMMARY
ISM (InterSpiritual Meditation) is a seven-step contemplative process that can be shared by people from many perspectives and traditions. It can be practiced alone and in community with others. It pulls together key elements of contemplation and meditation shared by many traditions. In this process we gather in the language of silence and experience inter-connectedness. Joining in stillness, we don’t impose on others our own personal beliefs, rituals, or the names for our absolute truths, deities, or God. We honor and celebrate the wise and compassionate practices of all traditions. We discover a profound unity within our diversity. We flourish in the love, peace, compassion, gratitude, and the strength of our shared wisdom. We are of one heart. Quietly, each in our own way, we join in the following seven stages together. The sound of a bell leads us from one stage to the next.
In this course we will cultivate these qualities. Following is an outline of the course.
This 9-week online course is based on the following printed books that should be purchased for the course.
- InterSpiritual Meditation
- Meditations for InterSpiritual Practice
- Workbook and Journal for InterSpiritual Meditation
Our goals are to:
- Cultivate and refine our personal contemplative practice.
- Create a contemplative practice drawn either from a single tradition or from diverse secular and spiritual traditions.
- Develop a practice that resonates with our personal spiritual style.
- Build a mutually supportive learning and contemplative community wherein diversity is honored.
- Integrate our contemplative practice into our relationships, professions and service.
- Work towards becoming certified InterSpiritual Mentor.
This course engages contemplative experience, intellect, and interpersonal sharing. Our classes contain the following elements:
- Selected readings from “InterSpiritual Meditation.”
- Selected readings from “Meditations for InterSpiritual Wisdom.”
- Supplementary written, audio, and video resource materials.
- Weekly audio and video instructions by the teacher on each step on ISM.
- Daily individual and guided meditations.
- Weekly live webinars recorded for later listening.
- Personal journaling and reflections on each step of the meditation.
- Work with a dyad partner and mentor.